Looking for a fun and easy DIY project to try out? Look no further than the Encanto Yarn Butterfly Craft! This simple yet beautiful craft is perfect for both kids and adults, and can be completed in just a few easy steps.
With just a few materials, you can create your own colorful easy butterfly craft that will add a touch of whimsy to your Encanto Disney bound or indoor space.
What’s the Encanto movie about?
Encanto is a Disney animated musical film that tells the story of the Madrigal family, who live in an enchanted Colombian town called Encanto. The Madrigals are a unique family with magical powers, except for one member, Mirabel.
When the magic of the Encanto begins to fade and the power of the magical candle flickers, it’s up to Mirabel to save her family and their home.
Along the way, she learns important lessons about self-acceptance, family bonds, and the power of love.
Reasons to Watch Encanto
There are many reasons why you should watch the Encanto movie and make the accompanying yarn butterfly craft. Here are just a few reasons we love the popular movie:
- Heartwarming Story – The movie has a heartwarming story that teaches important lessons about self-acceptance, family bonds, and the power of love.
- Vibrant Animation – The animation in Encanto is stunning, with bright colors and intricate details that bring the magical world of Encanto to life.
- Catchy Songs – The movie features catchy songs that will have you tapping your feet and singing along in no time.
- Fun Craft Activity – The yarn butterfly craft is a fun activity that can be enjoyed by all ages and skill levels. It’s a great way to get creative and make something beautiful for yourself or as a gift.
Now, let’s make a butterfly craft that kids love!
Out to Socialize is an Amazon partner. If you use a link to make a purchase, I may make a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
What do you need for this DIY Butterfly Craft?
Although we’re making pink and blue butterflies, don’t be afraid to get creative and use whatever color yarn you’d like to make custom colored flutterbys that work with your home, theme, or child’s favorite colors!
- Acrylic yarn—pink, blue, purple
- Chenille pipe cleaner stems, black
- Metal pin backs
- Glue gun
- Hot glue sticks
- Scrap of corrugated cardboard
How to Make an Encanto Butterfly
Make an Encanto butterfly just like Mirabel wears with this step-by-step tutorial will walk you through how to make a beautiful yarn butterfly!
To begin, gather all of your craft supplies. Measure out a 4” wide by 6” long piece of corrugated cardboard, then cut out the rectangle of cardboard with scissors.
Next, unroll a 6″ length of yarn, leaving it hanging off the cardboard guide. Then neatly wrap the yarn around the 4” width of the corrugated cardboard 15 times, making sure to keep the rows of yarn straight and next to each other.
Carefully wrap the yarn back around the cardboard another 15 times, keeping the rows neat. Leave a 6” tail at the other end and tie off in a knot.
Gently slide the yarn off the cardboard, with the knot on the bottom of the yarn bundle. Tie the yarn ends in a knot on the top and trim any long tails. This will give you a bow shape for the butterfly body.
Bend the 12” chenille stem in half and slide the yarn butterfly in the middle.
Gently twist the ends of the pipe cleaner together twice to make the butterfly wings. Measure and cut off 2” from the end of each chenille stem to make the antenna.
Bend both ends of the chenille stem into antennae. Repeat these steps as many times as you would like to make your collection of yarn butterflies.
To make decorative pins like Maribel, flip the yarn butterflies over, and attach a metal pin closure to the back with a glue gun and glue sticks.
How to Use Your Encanto Yarn Butterfly Craft
Once you’ve completed your beautiful Encanto Yarn Butterfly Craft, there are many ways to use and display it. Here are a few ideas, butterfly art for kids has never been easier! Here are a few ideas for how to use your butterfly craft.
Decorate your casita with a garland butterflies craft. Cut a ribbon, piece of jute or coordinating string the length you need for your garland. Tie one end of the string onto a plastic lacing needle. Thread the needle through the center of each yarn butterfly.
Slide it to where you would like it on your garland, then thread the needle through the butterfly again, creating a loop around the back to prevent them from flipping over. Repeat until you have enough butterflies. Tie a knot, leaving two small loops at the end of the yarn and hang up your garland.
Try one these fun ideas:
- Wall Decor—Hang your butterflies on a wall using adhesive strips or hooks. Arrange them in a pattern or let them fly free.
- Mobile—Create a mobile by hanging your butterflies from a hoop or branch with a fishing line or ribbon.
- Gift Topper—Add a special touch to a gift by tying one of your yarn butterflies onto the ribbon.
- Fashion Accessory—Attach a butterfly to a hair clip or brooch pin for an eye-catching accessory.You can do so much with this beautiful butterfly.
- Decorate Doors—Add them to your pretend Encanto house with Encanto doors.
No matter how you choose to use your Encanto Yarn Butterfly Craft, it’s sure to bring color and whimsy into your life! Do you enjoy doing butterfly art projects? You’ll love doing this one!
Watch Encanto and make one or a whole set of these colorful yarn butterfly crafts for a Disney movie night that makes for a fun experience that combines both an entertaining movie night and a creative craft. What could be more fun?